Link demographic data collection goals to strategic plans
Strategic plans are used to prioritize goals and lead organizations; positioning and identifying equity within an organization’s strategic plan will be vital for garnering support for demographic data collection.
This project is made up of two interconnected goals. Each goal requires its own strategy:
- Short-term goal of collecting demographic data
- Long-term goal of using demographic data to measure equity
The process of goal-setting requires:
- A clear vision – Identify why you should collect patient demographic data
Refer to ‘Equity in Healthcare’ in Introduction for a review of benefits of implementing data collection plan
- Measurable outcomes – How will a hospital evaluate whether it has accomplished its goals? In order to evaluate goals, the Steering Committee should think of deliverables they can identify and evaluate (refer to Sample Work plan below for examples of goals and deliverables around demographic data collection)
- A timeline – Setting a timeline requires prioritizing goals and objectives
The Health Equity Project Coordinators will help TC LHIN hospitals identify:
- Goals: What is the big-picture aim of this project for our hospital?
- Objectives: What should the results look like?
- Strategies: What are the steps for achieving those results?
- Deliverables: What are the quantifiable/tangible products?
- Timeline: How long will objectives take to accomplish?
Next page: 3.5. Maintain Ongoing Evaluation